Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ethnic Miao - I

During my last two fairs, I exhibited some original bijutaria from one ethnic in China, a lot of people showed a lot of interest. Now I just put some of these biju in Loja Qiao, so I think it's good to talk about this ethnic group here (*^__^*)

So the ethnic is called MIAO, and most of them live in the province of Guizhou and Yunnan, very south of China. I don't know if you have any idea of Chinese geography, anyway, you can easily google them.

When talking about Miao, there are 3 things which cannot be NOT mentioned: BIJUTARIA, EMBROIDERY and BATIK. I love the embroidery and batik too, hope in the future I can talk about them here.

We Chinese usually say Miao Silver when referring Miao bijutaria. But actually these traditional trinkets are not only made from silver, but also copper-nickel alloy. That's why the value is less than pure silver biju.

......to be continued

No comments: