Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ethnic Miao - II

Have a look!


Amazing, isn't it? This is one pic I chose online. I haven't got the chance to visit Miao area yet, when I go back to China next time, I will visit for sure and take lots of photos (*^__^*)
The whole set above must be heavy, I guess at least several kilos. I have to try next time during my visit. I don't think the girls are wearing all these everyday, it must be something very percious and they only wear during festivals and celebrations.

There is a widespread legend about the ancestor of Miao tribe. At the beginning of the world, a butterfly was borned inside a maple tree. This butterfly fell in love with the bubles in the river, afterwards she laid 12 eggs. One egg became the ancestor of Miao, and all the other 11 eggs turned into different creatures in the world. So Miao people believe the butterfly is the mother of their ancestor, and regard her as "Butterfly Mama".

Miao people like to use figures like butterfly and maple leaves in their embroideries, batiks and bijutarias, to in memory of their ancestors. They also use a lot different creatures such as animals (dragon, phenix, fish...) and plants (flowers) to symbolize productive and lively life.

So, this is what I know about Miao. I'm very looking forward to visiting Guizhou, it's a neighbouring provice of my hometown Sichuan, so I shouldn't miss it when going back next time!

One more pic of cute Miao kids O(∩_∩)O

No comments: