Tuesday, July 1, 2008

FIA


Besides the girl's nature, there is another reason that I'm starting the blog with the fashion topic. Probably some of you have known that already. I am going to participate in FIA (Feira Internacional do Artesanato), which will be held at FIL in Lisbon from 5 to 13 July. Very soon, starting from this Saturday!
This fair means a lot to me, because it will be the FIRST fair in my entire life! I'm very happy to announce that I will exhibit the original-design clothes and bags from China! So you will not only see them in pictures here, but you are even able to feel the real stuffs at FIA.

It's not easy at all to make it happen, really NOT easy. Last summer, I heard about FIA for the very first time, then I decided to have a visit, since I sort of like handicrafts. I didn't realise that it is such a multi-cultural event until I reached the international section. I was very impressed by the international environment, from then on, I started to think that maybe I could show some nice stuffs from China to the people here.

Finally one day in April this year, I made up my mind and stepped into FIL office and signed for a stand of FIA. But it was just the start. In late April, I flew back to China, and started my first business trip. After lots of meetings and discussions with the companies that I contacted, I decided the goods which would be sent back to Lisbon. Then I had to figure out the custom issues, which turned out to be very headaching. My academic background is not related with either business or marketing, so I had to learn everything from the very beginning, just like a pupil.

While in China, I experienced the most scary moment in my lifetime till now, the terrible earthquake. My family is in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan, which is not far from the quake center. Thank goodness, they were all safe and we just had some cracks in the house. In late May, I had to fly back to Lisbon to continue the preparation for the fair, but with a lot of worries of my family in Chengdu.

Right after back in Lisbon, I started the long-distant contacts with the companies, transportation brokers. China is 7 hours ahead, so sometimes I had to stay up all night to phone the people there. Alex (my husband) was joking that I am in Lisbon but living in Chinese time zone, lol! At the same time, I am constantly calling home in Chengdu, and everyone in the family is fine, so I'm more released and can concentrate more on work.

Alex is helping me a lot here in Lisbon, because my Portuguese is......really really POOR :-( We were told by the custom broker that I didn't have much time left to get the goods arrive on time, then I became very very stressed, no one wants to have the stand empty by the day the fair starts! In the end I chose to send by air, though more expensive, i feel safe. The goods arrived on time, Alex and I went to the airport excitedly, squeezed all the packages in to our small car, and finally drove them back home safely.

Now, FIA is starting in 4 days! I don't believe it! I was a first-time visitor last year, and this year I'm going to present my own stand! I just want to make one wish: A successful exhibition!

No comments: